In Mexico, all cargo is at some point transported by truck and trailer through the national motorway network, regardless of whether it is domestic or international ground transport. However, the increase in robbery and accident rates in some of the roads have made of ground shipping one of the most vulnerable ones.
It is often thought that it is the responsibility of the carrier to guarantee the arrival of goods in full and in good condition, but the truth is that there are many circumstances that can damage the products regardless of the caution and carefulness provided during the transit of goods, such as: natural disasters, setbacks on the road; or even robberies that cause important damages and losses that can impact the profitability of your business.
Types of insurance cover for your goods in transit
Prevention is the key to reduce physical loss to your ground shipments, so it is fully recommended to count with the right goods in transit insurance policy to cover any type of incidents during long distance door-to-door services and short distance services (i.e. domestic shipments).
Moreover, it is important to know the types of cover available to you, such as:
- Full cover: covers all risks faced by new goods during the transport process or as a consequence of it.
- Standing cover: covers theft and specific risks in new or used goods transiting in open containers.
- Container insurance cover: applicable to both, dry or refrigerated containers, as a supplement to the goods in transit insurance, and covers the value of the box container; preventing additional expenses caused by damages or robbery.
What to do in case of an accident or loss of ground shipments
Robberies are one of the incidents that can occur to ground shipments, and the most vulnerable of all are those containing food, beverage, and electronics; due to the ease to trade items in the black market.
In case of an accident or loss:
- Call 088 immediately or report the incident to any authority with whom you have contact to ensure through review of the incident for enforcement and judicial purposes.
- File a police report without delay
- When filing a police report, have all the information regarding the manner on which the transport unit was intercepted, the physical description of the robbers, and of their vehicles (in applicable cases).