Reefer Flexitank: Innovation, Savings, and Security
There are many possible solutions for transporting bulk liquids. The most common are ISO tanks (hard tank) and Flexitanks (flexible tank within a container). The advantages of Flexitanks are numerous. In addition, when transporting bulk refrigerated liquids, Reefer Flexitanks with reefer containers are the best option, as explained below.
Products Suitable for Flexitanks
Flexitanks are the first choice for many logistics operators, as long as the goods being transported are not hazardous and/or corrosive chemicals. At TIBA, we work with many different bulk liquids, and our most common products shipped in Flexitanks are:
- Non-hazardous chemicals: Latex, polyol, sorbitol, additives, glycerin, adhesives, coloring, emulsions, detergents, sweeteners, oils, and automotive lubricants.
- Food-grade products: Water, wine, fruit juices and purées, grape juice, flavoring, concentrates, oils (palm, sunflower, safflower, avocado, fish, and salmon), and vegetable and animal fats.
The current most commonly exported bulk liquids from Mexico via Reefer Flexitank are fruit juices, but the market is expanding, and more and more products are being shipped using this type of Flexitank.
Advantages of the Reefer Flexitank
Compared to ISO tanks, Reefer Flexitanks offer a number of great benefits. At TIBA, we have ample experience managing logistics for bulk liquids, and we often choose Flexitanks for various reasons that are reflected in the quality of services and final cost of operations:
- It is cheaper to maintain an ongoing supply of Flexitanks.
- Flexitanks are disposable and intended for single-use so there are no cleaning costs.
- Flexitank can be shipped anywhere in the world in a matter of days; they are not dependent on the provider’s supply.
- Flexitanks are made from polyethylene, which is safe for the environment and fully recyclable.
- Perimeter supports: This reinforcement for the entire Reefer Flexitank takes away pressure and prevents possible cracks in the walls of the container.
- Airtight chambers: 20-foot Reefer Flexitanks are separated by two airtight chambers, allowing you to transport two different types of liquid.
- Wave-breaking system: This system eliminates sloshing (oscillating fluid motion). It comes in 20-foot and 40-foot versions.
- Air-vent system: Escape valve to allow for controlled release of air inside the Flexitank (optional, based on the characteristics of the liquid).
- EVOH: Insulating layer of polyethylene helps prevent oxidation for liquids, such as wine.
Let’s learn more about the wave-breaking system for 20-foot and 40-foot Reefer Flexitanks. For 20-foot models, the system consists of various valves distributed systematically in the middle of the tank. For 40-foot models, it consists of rings that lightly constrict the tank:
Here you can see the perimeter supports and how it is possible to ship two different types of liquid in one Reefer Flexitank:
Containers for Reefer Shipments in Flexitanks
Reefer containers have higher quality walls than standard containers in order to better insulate the material from environmental conditions. Inside, these containers have panels to keep them cold; bulkheads are not needed to support the Flexitank because the perimeter supports and its wave-breaking system make for very secure transportation. There are two sizes of reefer containers available: 20-foot (20′ RF) and 40-foot (40′ RF):
If you need to transport bulk liquids, we invite you to learn more about our services. At TIBA, we will help manage every step of your shipment, as we have years of experience with these products, and we are trained to provide comprehensive and high-quality services based on your needs.