The Canary Islands are strengthening phytosanitary measures and from 16th April International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM 15) will be compulsory for the wood packaging and pallets of all their imports and exports under Order APA/1076/2018.
The regulation will affect all traffic and destinations (domestic, European Union and third countries) and its aim is to preserve the phytosanitary status of the archipelago with respect to pests and other harmful organisms that could be introduced in plant, plant product and other imports.
From 16th April the Canary Islands will apply ISPM 15 to the wood packaging and pallets of all their imports and exports.
What is ISPM 15?
La NIMF nº15 es un conjunto de directrices para reglamentar el embalaje de madera utilizado en el comercio internacional, cuyo propósito es minimizar el riesgo de introducción y/o propagación de plagas a través de embalajes de madera fabricados de madera en bruto.
Which wood packaging and pallets are affected by the new phytosanitary regulations?
Compliance with ISPM 15, which is obligatory under Order APA/1076/2018, affects all wood with a thickness of more than 6 millimetres including, packing cases, boxes, crates, drums and similar packaging, pallets, box pallets and other load carriers, pallet collars and dunnage, whether or not used for the transport of goods of any kind.
Dunnage supporting shipments of wood (logs, sawn wood, etc.) will not be considered packing material but part of the shipment as long as:
- The dunnage is the same wood as that of the shipment.
- It meets the same phytosanitary requirements as the wood being shipped.
Which types of wood are exempt?
- Raw wood with a thickness of 6 mm or less.
- Wood packaging material entirely made of processed wood, such as plywood, chipboard, oriented strand board or veneer sheets produced using glue, heat or pressure, or a combination thereof.
- Wine and spirit barrels that have been heated during manufacture in such a way as to ensure that they are free from pests, as required by the above Order.
- Gift boxes for wine, cigars and other products made of wood that has been processed or manufactured in such a way that it is free from pests.
- Sawdust, wood shavings and wood wool.
- Wooden components permanently installed in vehicles or containers used for freight.